Have had several people ask about a “push to talk” app for Androids like the old Nextel “chirp” system.
The “TiKL Talk” app allows you to do this… BUT — what makes this even cooler… It’s not just available to people on the same phone network. Anyone who has the app (Android & iPhone) can chat through TiKL talk.
From the Android Market:
Real Push-To-Talk + Chat/Text/Messenger. Supports 1:1 and groups. All for FREE.
Instantly talk or text to one or a group of friends at once with the touch of a button. No setup needed, just have them in your phone contacts or as Facebook friends. Fast, simple and free – TiKL turns your phone into the ultimate Push To Talk (PTT) Walkie Talkie with instant messenger capability.
* Free, instant real-time one-on-one voice push-to-talk calls.
* Free, instant real-time group voice push-to-talk calls.
* Free, lightning fast one-on-one chat (instant text messaging) with delivery confirmation.
* Free, lightning fast group chat (instant group text messaging) with individual delivery confirmation.
* Uses data connection only. No voice minutes or SMS used for TiKL calls or chats.
* Works across Android phones/tablets and iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.
* Works across carriers.
* Works over WiFi, 3G, 4G, EDGE and GPRS.
* Supports both phone contacts and Facebook friends.
The folks at Gizmodo have created a list of apps to replace the stock ones on your Android Device. Click here for the full article, which includes suggestions for camera, music, and calculator apps.
Illinois Valley Cellular is now a FACEBOOK mobile carrier
You can text Facebook to update your status, message your friends, or send a poke on the go. You can also choose to receive texts with messages, pokes, and wall posts from your friends right when they happen.
(Standard text message rates apply.)