So, the big snow finally hit northern Illinois… You can use your smart phone to see road conditions and travel times.
For people in Bureau County, sign up for BCR Alerts (powered by Illinois Valley Cellular) and receive weather information and cancellations. For the latest travel information on your phone, you should check out these sites and applications.
Great website run by the Illinois Department of Transportation.
Google Maps: Layers
Click the layers button on the bottom right hand of the map screen and select “traffic.”
You’ll be able to see congestion on main routes.
A social GPS application. With your Waze account, other drivers report conditions in your area.
Scientists. These folks keep trying to make the world a better place… even for the jolly old elf.
The team at General Electric have taken a scene right out of Arthur Christmas… You know, where Santa’s oldest son makes a space ship for the elf team to deliver presents… What? You haven’t seen that movie? Ok. I won’t spoil it.
This new sleigh from GE is high tech (the picture below links to a 360 degree view of the sleigh.) Illinois Valley Cellular has sent the folks at General Electric a Motorola RAZR MAXX (with car dock) to equip Santa with Google Maps, Nationwide Coverage, and Smart Actions (for amazing battery life during his trip.) You can pick up a RAZR MAXX too for just $ 149.99 with Premium Choice Unlimited Rates.
New features of the sleigh include:
- A thin cooling solution that can improve jet engine aerodynamics and outfit Santa with a cooler, thinner laptop.
- Air Traffic Management Technology to help Santa and the reindeer steer clear of the planes en route on Christmas Eve.
- An Electric Traction Motor with MEMS switching technology to quickly and efficiently transfer power of Santa’s sleigh over to the electric motor to give the reindeer a break.
- 3-D printed sleigh blades for a more aerodynamic design to improve energy efficiency paired with a tough, flexible fabric to give Santa greater lift and maneuverability.
- An upgraded sleigh frame made from GE’s high temperature Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMCs) that will save energy and time by enabling flight into outer space and back.
- GE’s Durathon battery for reliably powering the accouterments in Santa’s sleigh. The battery can function under extreme temperature conditions. – GENERAL ELECTRIC